Keeping with the theme that life is crazy ass busy right now I have put together another one-pot dinner. Its the Unstuffed Bell Pepper and it is so good! It is even easier if you use all the amazing short cuts the grocery store offers now. Items like pre-cooked rice, pre-chopped garlic and pre-chopped parsley make this recipe even easier. You can whip this up in about 30 minutes from start to finish and your family will love it! It tastes just like the traditional stuffed and baked bell peppers without having to bake them for 45 minutes.
Unstuffed Bell Peppers
All the ingredients and flavors of a stuffed bell pepper come together in this one-pot meal. It is quick and easy to pull together on a busy night.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cup water or beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking or pre-cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 Tablespoon parsley, chopped
In a large skillet or pot with a lid, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
Add onion and bell pepper and cook until soft, about 7 minutes.
Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
Add ground beef, salt and pepper and cook until browned.
Stir in both cans of tomatoes, oregano, basil, water (or beef broth) and rice. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until rice is cooked.
Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese.
Serve with an additional sprinkle of cheese and parsley.