So they say that opposites attract and that is true in a lot of cases except for me and my best friend.  She and I are about 90% alike and the other 10% we are totally opposite.  I like quiet and calm and she can deal, God bless her, in mass chaos; I can smell anything and she is completely nose-blind;  I love to cook and she has no desire!! But, she does cook tacos so this recipe is for you BFF.
Tacos are a national weeknight dinner staple, am I right? They are easy and everyone likes them.  Well, tacos were on the menu one night a few years back and I reached for one of those taco seasoning packets and saw MSG on the ingredient list.  Now, you should know by now I am not a huge “organic, vegan, juicing” kinda gal, but the MSG does cause most people to feel shaky and icky.  So, I decided to come up with my own taco seasoning.  And hot damn it was so easy!
Here is our family’s taco night seasoning.  If you like it spicier then add more cayenne or if you like it saltier then add more…salt, yea you get the idea.  Enjoy!

Taco Seasoning

Makes about 1/4 cup


  • 2 teaspoons Chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon Onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon Paprika
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper


  1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and store in a air tight container for up to 6 months. When you are ready to make tacos just brown 1lb. of meat, drain fat and add 2 Tablespoons of seasoning and 2/3 cup water to pan.  Simmer for 5-10 minutes on low to blend the spices. 

Needed Items